UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

UK Mat Surfers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
This site has been replaced by a new Forum: CLICK HERE
Foaming mountains of whitewater?? Home-1Foaming mountains of whitewater?? All-about-matsFoaming mountains of whitewater?? Media-1Foaming mountains of whitewater?? Shop-1Foaming mountains of whitewater?? ForumFoaming mountains of whitewater?? Links-1

2 posters

Foaming mountains of whitewater??

ScS
    ScS

Foaming mountains of whitewater?? Empty Foaming mountains of whitewater??

Post  ScS Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am

I got back from my first surf trip with a mat over the Xmas period. I spent most of the time on a long board, but had quite a few memorable sessions on the mat...

Probably the best and worst was an overhead day at panorama point with a hefty long period swell. The first wave was long and very fast, never felt that fast on any wave and that memory will stick with me for a long time!

It was wave 2 when things started to unravel... It was a serious set wave which really ramped up, made the take off but ended in a huge closeout and 2 problems

1) how do you manage to get off a chunky lump of whitewater pushing you onto the rocks? It seemed to take a good 4 or 5 seconds with my whole body vertical to get off the wave, there must be an easier way...

2) What do you do when you're stuck dead centre in the impact zone? I could manage the duck dive in the riders guide to get under breaking and smaller waves, but got absolutely pounded. 2 waves picked me up and threw me all the way down in the lip, thankfully the set abated and I paddled like hell for the channel. What do people do when its too big to duck dive?

This might sound a little sad, but I loved bigger waves on the mat, and definitely want to get some more hence the call for a little advice.

Thanks in advance

Sean
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Foaming mountains of whitewater?? Empty Re: Foaming mountains of whitewater??

Post  GRAYMAN Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am

Well done mate. Smile

In terms of getting off white water, bear hugging the mat and doing a forward roll off it works well. Basically deliberately pearling the mat. You pop up behind the wave. Watch your lips on the valve though!!!

Waves too big to duckdive can often be managed with a turtle roll. When you're right in the impact zone paddle hard at the wave as you would for a duckdive and then roll last minute applying an arms and legs bear hug. I've done this on some pretty heavy waves and it works pretty well. You get a bit of a rinse still but usually get shoved out the back as the wave dumps.

On duckdiving, I always try to kick through once I'm under and sometimes use one hand too as I come up to stop getting dragged.

I'd certainly rather try a mat than a log in those circumstances!

Practice is the key I guess.

Hope that helps.

G
    ScS
    ScS

Post  ScS Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Sounds like a turtle roll is the thing to try next time then!I just need a little decent swell to test it out.

The mat was certainly more fun than the log that day, and might be again today, charts look good for a few small peelers today.

Thanks

Sean

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:08 pm