UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

UK Mat Surfers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
This site has been replaced by a new Forum: CLICK HERE
New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Home-1New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. All-about-matsNew Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Media-1New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Shop-1New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. ForumNew Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Links-1

+2
GRAYMAN
ULTIMATS
6 posters

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild.

Poll

Should the HOVERBOARD be classified as ......

[ 1 ]
    New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Bar_left10%New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 0 ]
    New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Bar_left0%New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Bar_left10%New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Bar_right [10%] 
    [ 7 ]
    New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Bar_left70%New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Bar_right [70%] 
    [ 1 ]

Total Votes: 10
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Empty New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild.

Post  ULTIMATS Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I started building these boards after some protracted consultation with Graeme (G) and I should thank him for his insight and patience and the name "Hoverboard."

Because I speedsail on a windsurfer I plan to try the concept there as well.

Heres a link to a condensed version of the builds....

CLICK HERE

Its definately something you've never seen before.

Please Vote in the Poll too! cheers

G, can you post the full link please for convenience? Thanks.

Last edited by ULTIMATS on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Empty Re: New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild.

Post  GRAYMAN Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Brilliant.

Smile

G

PS Not a mat. Smile
    tynemouthmatt
    tynemouthmatt

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Empty Re: New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild.

Post  tynemouthmatt Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:23 am

This is genius mate.....I reckon it could be adapted for a standup board.
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Aw C'mon G ! you know its a mat, its just a partial mat.
    Its still requires inflation so it must be a mat, huh ? Wink

tynemouthmatt, I reckon it can be adapted to windsurfers but I havent even thought about standup surfboards... I dont think that crowd is ready to embrace something like this.
    I'll do the mat version and then the windsurfer and then see where it goes.

Last edited by ULTIMATS on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:44 pm

You can't argue with the will of the people Brett.

Wink

G
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Heres a few pics of the 3 designs so far.

The first one is a foam and glass ring with fabric deck and hull.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. July292011015a

Its the closest to being a 'mat' in construction.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. August2011007

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. August2011075

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. August2011062

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. August2011074

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Sept2011009a

This is a double pontoon with a heavier PVC material. Dual inflation valves.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. June2011024

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. June2011020

Now its a hard deck with a material 'hull'.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. June2011028

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. June2011037

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. SAM_0475

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. SAM_0480

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. SAM_0511

This one is a single concave across the underside of the deck.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Nov2011007a

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. November2011022

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. November2011025

Ive got some new yellow material to try.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Dec12011008

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Dec12011009

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Dec12011010

The current material is light at 200 Denier but its also too stretchy and when I design the curves of the mat it warps under the pressure of a bottom turn. Maybe Nylon isnt the right composition....?

When Im building a new design theres always a lot of cerebral rumination ...
    I thought I needed lighter material but its too stretchy.
    I tried the fabric deck but it doesnt have the 'feel' that a mat has.
    i tried the twin pontoon which rides really well but its too difficult to replicate repeatedly.
    I tried the single concave for simplicity but ultimately the design doesnt need the concave at all.
    So each design is about refinement as well as having fun.

Ive got 2 more prototypes under construction so well see what happens with them and the new material.
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 am

Brilliant.

I think the problem is that on a mat, a stretch is absorbed across the whole structure. On a board the rail won't give so the material stretches. Perhaps heavier material? Does the 200d deform?

I found the sample of the material you sent me was pretty stretchy but lacked elasticity.

Cheers

G
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:39 pm

I think its the material rather than the design or anything else. The stuff Ive got is too stretchy and doesnt bouce back into shape whereas the real mat material seems to have less stretch.
    One of the problems is when the board tilts the air rushes to the higher end and bloats out that end beyond the shape I designed.
    Ive got to try all avenues to see where they go but I know that stretchy material isnt the go.
    Heres one of the latest,
    Shaping In Progress......

The blank is 40mm thick, flat deck...

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. December2011028

with a concave or reverse rocker.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. December2011029

I think this one, with the right material, should be a real watershed design, Ive taken theories from the other boards and put them into this one. If it works I'll be stoked, cheers if not, you wont hear about it ever again ! Suspect
    I think if it works I could put in on a windsurfer and/or a surfboard....
    sinclairio
    sinclairio

Post  sinclairio Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:42 am

this is the nuts!i assume from the inflatable hull blog, that the original idea is to make a windsurfing mat/hoverboard? and that you have used the body board as a smaller cheaper way of prototypes. how well does it hold & glide compared to a mat?
    btw its not a mat, as it doesn't fold, (might do with my weight). its a very complicated bodyboard maybe a bubbleboard?
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:45 am

The plan was just to see if an inflatable craft could also have a hard deck, make a hybrid of the best parts of a mat and a bodyboard, but now I think it can go on several different surfcraft.
    With the pliable front section I reckon it would be great for a speed sailboard ! affraid
    It has a similar pliability as a mat as it flies over the water, and that acceleration that mats have when theyre on a decent wave.
    Handles just like a bodyboard even tho the rails are only 1 in wide- its a lesson in hydrodynamics to feel an inflated hull turns as precisely as a solid board.
    The 1st one , BLUE, was a bit odd to ride with the hard rails and soft deck but had lightning acceleration.
    The 2nd one, GREY double pontoon, was great to ride but too complex to build.
    The 3rd one, RED with full inflated hull, didnt have the right weight of material and it stretched out of shape after a few waves.
    The 4th one has the thin rails, less concave so theres less deformation of the material and Im tracking down a better material. But at Xmas time its a slow process.

'Bubbleboard'? Not bad.. 'Hoverboard' was another name suggested.
    Im grateful for any suggestions lads, thanks.
    sinclairio
    sinclairio

Post  sinclairio Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:38 am

hoverboard does sound ace, but i have to admit i thought it was going to be a board that floats, like a hovercraft, which in my head looked amazing, thus the bubble. but the bubbleboard just sounds a bit girly. not that thats a bad thing, there just crap! Laughing
    good work though
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Actually sinclairio, the truly original idea was to see if i could make a board that skimmed on a bubble of air. But that idea morphed into the 'hard deck inflatable' idea because I couldnt figure out the 'bubble' design. But Im not giving up on that one yet....
    The 'bubble' design would need to be some form that holds a consistent volume of air and doesnt leak air when the board is tilted...
    maybe it could have an inflatable perimeter with just the centre skimming on air... kinda like a hovercraft...
    Or a bladder at the leading edge that delivers a fine curtain of bubbles that flow under the craft as it moves forward..
    or...
    Lots of possibilities.
    MATS are almost the perfect 'bubble' board anyway !!
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Heres a few construction pics...

The core is EPS which is styrofoam so its easy to shape.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. JAN2012005a

Add a few subtle angles and curves.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. JAN2012021a

Wet some fibreglass matting with resin, lay it on the core and slide the lot into a plastic bag.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. JAN2012027a

Attach the bag to a vacuum-pump ( lower left in pic.) and it sucks the wet fibreglass onto the core so it forms a perfect shell when the resin hardens.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. JAN2012029a

When the resin sets, peel the plastic bag off and do the same to the other side and its almost ready to add the inflation fabric.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. JAN2012030a

Christ it was sunny HOT sunny today 33 deg C. sunny

Any comments?
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 pm

What's on with this one now? I'm guessing you've moved on from vac bagging.

I love those pinched rails. Paipo-delic!

cheers

G
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi G.
    Its all going well but Ive got a few issues getting the right fabric.

Its about 18 mm thick...or thin.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. January2012085

Inflation value on the deck. I ended up using a valve from a blow up raft.

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. January2012103

Last edited by ULTIMATS on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : incorruct spealing)
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 am

Sweetness!
    What a Face

What valve are you using?

G
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:40 am

I just cut one off an inflatable boat that was dumped at the beach. Almost the same design and dims as the kiteboard valves.
    New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Jan2012001a
    Glassed and vacced.
    New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Jan2012005a-1
    No problems !
    New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Jan2012028a
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 am

The valve seems quite a long way back from the nose. Will it be in the way?

G

PS How's your 4GF going by the way?
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 pm

I put the valve closer to the nose on an earlier version but you have to slide up to add air or check its secure, and then it tips nose down and I drown.
    So I put it back under my shoulder area where I can check, alter and fiddle with it between sets.
    The 4GFs great, I dig the non slip treatment.

Id like to add a Dale Solomonson to my herd of prone craft, anyone got one for sale ??

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. SAM_0526-1
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:27 pm

So I realise that fabric stuff isnt easy to work with !
    So many ways to measure/cut/glue/weld and screw it up too !

After glassing the beast,

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012031

I tape the fabric to the solid hull,

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012078

And measure so that I get a rounded hull in the front

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012058

and a flatter cross section in the tail,

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012059

Theres a lot of mucking around trying to work out how to build something thats never been built before, and always wondering if youre better off dropping the whole thing and spending more time with the family,

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012075

But it all pays off in the end.( the board, not the family)

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012064

Im also trying a new idea in materials...

I bought some clear PVC weather sheeting so Im making a clear hull version

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012085

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012068

New Surfcraft Species - Hybrid Homebuild. Feb2012086

Maybe combine the clear hull with a clear glass deck and then it will look like Im flying over the water !!!!

Last edited by ULTIMATS on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : drunk)
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:10 am

Wicked. I was thinking about this whilst surfing today. I wonder if pre stretching fabric might ne a good idea.

Love the clear sheet. It won't behave like nylon of course but intetesting. How tough is it?

G
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:36 am

Its .3mm, the thinner stuff is more pliable but stretches, the thicker stuff is more dimensionally stable but stiffer.... I'll try the .3mm and let you know how it goes.
    piskian
    piskian

Post  piskian Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:54 am

Hope you don't keep the 4GF pumped up like that in the Oz heat!
    ULTIMATS
    ULTIMATS

Post  ULTIMATS Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:22 am

No, that was just for display purposes.
    Im thinking of making a kneeboard with this concept in it....anyone got a template/outline/dims they can share please ?
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:52 am

ULTIMATS wrote:No, that was just for display purposes.
    Im thinking of making a kneeboard with this concept in it....anyone got a template/outline/dims they can share please ?

Velo shape would make most sense I'd say.

G

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am