UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

UK Mat Surfers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
This site has been replaced by a new Forum: CLICK HERE
Saturday 17th Dec, 2011 Home-1Saturday 17th Dec, 2011 All-about-matsSaturday 17th Dec, 2011 Media-1Saturday 17th Dec, 2011 Shop-1Saturday 17th Dec, 2011 ForumSaturday 17th Dec, 2011 Links-1

3 posters

Saturday 17th Dec, 2011

GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Saturday 17th Dec, 2011 Empty Saturday 17th Dec, 2011

Post  GRAYMAN Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:33 am

Hello there.

Surfmatt and I are meeting at Seaton tomorrow at 9.30am with a view to surfing a nearby reef. Just to clarify, that's Seaton near Looe, not one of the other Seatons!

If anyone fancies coming, say so on here so we know to wait for you.

Cheers

G
    cookson
    cookson

Saturday 17th Dec, 2011 Empty Re: Saturday 17th Dec, 2011

Post  cookson Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:01 am

Sinclairio and I will be surfing around hayle or south coast at about the same time.
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:51 am

cookson wrote:Sinclairio and I will be surfing around hayle or south coast at about the same time.

I think you'll be on the South. Howling NW winds tomorrow!

affraid

G
    Surfmatt
    Surfmatt

Post  Surfmatt Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:52 am

Well we surfed that certain nearby reef this morning. It was AMAZING! Shoulder - Head high peeling lefts all the way into the shore. Only a handfull of others out and plenty of waves to go round. There was a great atmosphere in the line-up with everyone being very friendly and respecting surf etiquette. The swell did drop off slightly later on (as forecast) but there was still nice waves rolling through as we got out. All-in-all a brilliant session. My stoke-o-meter is at "FULL". cheers santa
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:27 am

Yeah that was brilliant!

I love that stretch of coast. You have Whitsand which isn't really anything special but you can always find a wave to yourself. When the swell is a bit bigger it opens up a few other spots with good quality reef waves. Some proper diversity with open-minded locals riding a variety of craft. There's a guy who rides paipos around there who seemed stoked on the mats during our chat on the roadside at Seaton. I've seen him out at the spot we surfers today before and he is well in tune with his board.

As Surfmatt says, other locals are friendly. Always out there. We bumped in to an Irish guy with a Mini Sim who was really interested and keen to get a mat.

The final character was a fella I've seen out around that area and at Salthouse before, who rides the most beaten up cheapo bodyboard you've ever seen. It's way too small for him too. He's only seen me kneeboarding and was confused by the mats. He churned out a seemingly endless stream of "jokes" about the bloke on ad with his inflatable croc, etc. All good natured... kinda...

The funny thing is, he rides his sponge with both hands on the front corners, rolls onto his rails and keeps a flat profile. He also kicks into waves and is more into gliding speed runs than tricks. Essentially, he uses mat surfing techniques on a bodyboard and does pretty well. A mat surfer who doesn't know he is and actually sneers at the idea of riding one. Such a shame. You want to say "you're missing out on a massive opportunity" but he was utterly blind to the idea that prone riding could be done seriously on anything other than a mass-produced lump of styrofoam.

A real shame...

Anyway, his loss cause Surfmatt and I had a BLAST! Utter stoke session in 3-4 foot surf, lighter than expected offshores with the sun glistening off the beautiful brown water... Nice shade of brown though.

Smile

Cheers

G

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 pm