UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

UK Mat Surfers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
This site has been replaced by a new Forum: CLICK HERE
Mat surfing in Portugal Home-1Mat surfing in Portugal All-about-matsMat surfing in Portugal Media-1Mat surfing in Portugal Shop-1Mat surfing in Portugal ForumMat surfing in Portugal Links-1

4 posters

Mat surfing in Portugal

Blimp
    Blimp

Mat surfing in Portugal Empty Mat surfing in Portugal

Post  Blimp Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Just got back from my two weeks in the sun we were staying in the Estoril just down the coast from Lisbon. Surfed some great waves and finaily got my Neumatic going through the gears in what was the worst conditions I surfed strong off shore 2ft choss put some more air in it to see if that would make any difference now I will surf it in the future with a little over ninety degree bend.

A lot of the Portuguesse beaches have lifeguards on and all came down to have a look at my mat and only let me surf because I was wearing fins, got chucked out at playa Grande by a life guard who said boards only, got in to a pretty heated arguement with him but got out in the end after he threatened to call the maritime Police. Lucky for me the next beach around the headland was even better at one end you had a Wedge till high tide when the waves were breaking at the base off the cliffs and at the other end you had a nice hollow beach break and you surfed what ever you fancied.

My surfing came to an abrupt end when I strained my achillies tendon and I am still hobbling around. I will definetley be going back to Portugal but will take care to surf waves off the beaten track to avoid the hassel of some of the life guards
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Mat surfing in Portugal Empty Re: Mat surfing in Portugal

Post  GRAYMAN Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:12 am

Sounds like a great trip mate. Hope you had a good birthday too. Smile Paul Mason (aka Fourstringsisplenty) had a similar experience with Portuguese lifeguards.

Glad to hear you got the Neu going. I find my 4 pontoon mats need a little more air. Less stagger is the reason I think.

G
    James H
    James H

Post  James H Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:19 am

maritime police? WTF? Surely they are too busy interdicting cocaine shipments to have a beef with some dude on a neumatic! Jesus wept.
    Blimp
    Blimp

Post  Blimp Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:52 pm

What was really galling was when I was having my argument with the lifeguard we were standing in about waist high water and just to our left were two standups trying to paddle long boards through the shore dump and bailing there boards on every wave I pointed this out to the Lifeguard he just shrugged his shoulders
    piskian
    piskian

Post  piskian Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:27 am

Never seen lifeguards.What time do they turn up?
    Blimp
    Blimp

Post  Blimp Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:58 pm

They are equivalent to RNLI ones over here, they seem to turn up about 10 o,clock and remain until 6 and have been on all the major beaches I visited, only good thing is there are plenty of beaches off the beaten track and as it turns out they can only advise you I found out later after talking to a lifeguard who reckons the surfing just gets better and better from September.The sea was colder than it is over here but he said it stays the same temp all year so you need no more than a 4\3 in the depths of Winter. Cheap at Christmas.

Whats stagger ? After the Neu took off I spent the rest of the holiday trying to replicate it what had I done different was it body position, hand position the amount of air the Neu still remains an enigma and will be going back to my Fatty as my ride of choice. My standard is out on loan at the moment to someone who wanted to try out Mat surfing just hope it comes back
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:43 pm

In other words, the maritime police threat was b*ll*cks then!

Stagger is the difference between the crown of the pontoons and the bass of the channels.

G
    Blimp
    Blimp

Post  Blimp Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:20 am

Yep Rolling Eyes
    Blimp
    Blimp

Post  Blimp Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:25 pm

G any chance of doing a 3D cutaway of a mat and explaining what difference the various parts have on the ride of the mat and the differende between a three pontoon and a four
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Blimp wrote: G any chance of doing a 3D cutaway of a mat and explaining what difference the various parts have on the ride of the mat and the differende between a three pontoon and a four

I'll have a look at doing it at some point. That's a pretty big post though!

G

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am