UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UK Mat Surfers

Welcome to the UK Mat Surfers forum. By logging-in you are accepting that you are solely responsible for any content you publish. You are also agreeing to comply with all forum rules.

Please ensure that all posts are friendly and positive.

Offensive posts will be removed.

Please abide with any requests made by Admin regarding content.

Please be aware that Mark Thomson and Krypt Surfmats are not topics for discussion on this forum.

Persistent rule breakers will be banned.

UK Mat Surfers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
This site has been replaced by a new Forum: CLICK HERE
Traditional Surfing Company Home-1Traditional Surfing Company All-about-matsTraditional Surfing Company Media-1Traditional Surfing Company Shop-1Traditional Surfing Company ForumTraditional Surfing Company Links-1

4 posters

Traditional Surfing Company

GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Traditional Surfing Company Empty Traditional Surfing Company

Post  GRAYMAN Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:51 am

Hello there all.

I've recently got my hands on a new bellyboard made by Gavin at Traditional Surfing Company. For those who don't know, Traditional Surfing Co make bellyboards using high quality marine ply, making many models including their alaia inspired Da Bomb model.

Traditional Surfing Company Tradit10

The description from Traditional Surfing Co goes like this:

Traditional Surfing Co wrote:
    Put simply, da BOMB redefines bellyboarding by mixing current alaia design thinking with traditional bellyboard dimensions of 4ft x 12” tapering to 11”.

The result is a board that rides utterly differently, much looser, even we were surpised by how much. If you are riding green faces you are ready for da BOMB!

Sounds like just the thing for me as I've developed a growing passion for slipping my wood into glistening tubes of late! (Thank you to Julian Clary for that one).

So then here's a look at her. I've taken a shot next to my home build "The Chisel" as many have seen that in the flesh so gives a sense of perspective. The shots are from below so the tails look wider than they are. I'm too lazy to take them again (sorry).

Traditional Surfing Company Tradit11Traditional Surfing Company Tradit12

The bag is an added optional extra but a nice touch.

Nice low nose lift. I'm impressed by flat rocker in prone craft, although The Chisel's square, stumpy nose can sometime case a bit of spray in the face. Da Bomb looks like it might deal with that nicely with a rounded nose and more of it ahead of the rocker point:

Traditional Surfing Company Tradit14

So then... Just need to ride it now!!! I'm really keen to see how the rounded profile feels compared to the Tetris inspired Chisel. My square peg has got me into a few round holes but I'm always keen to play the field.

Ride report to follow in due course and I'll try to get some footage too.

To get one yourself you want to CLICK HERE

Cheers

G

Last edited by GRAYMAN on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    jezz harty
    jezz harty

Traditional Surfing Company Empty Re: Traditional Surfing Company

Post  jezz harty Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:57 am

looks nice,
    if i find some more wood il make one
    (i know a b loke who makes skateboard ramps)
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:20 pm

First crack on my Traditional Surfing Co "Da Bomb" bellyboard today in thigh to waist high, clean but weak waves. Far from inspiring but a beautiful morning with sunshine and not a breath of wind.

It took a little while to get used to the feel of Da Bomb. It is much lighter and has more flex than my home built board and, although the planing area is similar, Da Bomb has more nose and is more tucked at the tail. However, I soon got into other and was really impressed with how Da Bomb went, especially considering how weak the waves were. It loves the pocket, holding well and turns intuitively. It also handles sections well catching the pocket up fairly easily when getting stuck in the whitewash.

I got to really enjoy the flex to, being almost mat-like at times over the bumpy, river affected inside section.

Shifting weight up and down has the expected results and I actually noticed the benefit of those extra few inches.

I certainly seemed to be getting more out of the waves than anyof the stand-ups.

So all-in-all, this is a great board. Well worth the price tag considering the work put in to cutting, finishing, steaming, screening and oiling. I'd certainly recommend having on in the quiver, not least of all because it'll get you stoked on waves even a mat would struggle in.

Smile

I got some footage too. I don't know how it'll look though as the sun was right in my face but I'll try to cobble something together.

Cheers

G
    GRAYMAN
    GRAYMAN

Post  GRAYMAN Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:15 am

Video was unusable unfortunately. Sun was straight into the lense.

G
    jezz harty
    jezz harty

Post  jezz harty Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:14 am

Crying or Very sad shame
    The Pilgrim
    The Pilgrim

Post  The Pilgrim Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:50 am

like that a LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLot
    piskian
    piskian

Post  piskian Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 am

Yep,it looks and goes well.Very light and the nose is ideal.!A world away from standard bellyboards..
    I liked it as I don't float at all and it planed me nicely.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am